Vacay, Part 1

(Not sure how many parts I’ll break this into, depends on my writing inspiration…)

Our much-anticipated, long-awaited vacation was so wonderful! Hubby, the boys, my mom, my mother-in-law and hubby’s grandmother went on a 5-day cruise in the Western Caribbean. This was B’s 2nd cruise (but of course it felt like his first, since he was 18 months the first time), and Matty’s first, so we made sure they got to see and do as much as possible.

We left mid-day on a Saturday, shortly after I got home from running the Reason to Run 5K (38;17, yay me!). Our Super Shuttle arrived promptly at noon, and by 1:30pm we were on the ship. I felt the stress lift and the relaxation fold over me almost immediately, and I knew that at least for five days, I had nothing to worry about but enjoying ourselves.

We had lunch and hung out in the top deck as the ship left the port. We explored some of the ship, and discovered that this sailing was also the 4th and Final Rick Springfield and Friends Cruise. There were tons of fans on-board, and we had a few sightings during our trip. Soon it was dinnertime, so off to the dining room we went. We went to bed fairly early that evening, ready for our first Day at Sea the next day.

On Sunday morning, we woke up and before even going to breakfast, headed to the top deck to see Cuba. We were passing right along the island, and could even make out building outlines using my mom’s binoculars. It was such a bittersweet moment: knowing those approximate 13 miles in the middle of the ocean were as close as I’d get to Cuba for the time being…I got teary-eyed up on the deck, pointing out the island and the different land forms to the boys.

After breakfast, we ventured around the ship some more, and took the boys the Beary Cuddly event (think Build-a-Bear), where they each got a self-stuffed puppy courtesy of their grandmas. Lunch was next, followed by some time in the water slide and the kiddie pool. Before we knew it, it was time for dinner. It was Formal Night and we got all decked out in our sassy outfits, and had a lovely meal. We went to the show afterwards, but started dozing off so we headed off to bed. A long, adventurous day was ahead of us.

Day three consisted of our first port of call, Ocho Rios Jamaica. All of us headed to Dunn’s River Falls, and the boys were beyond thrilled that they were going to climb the waterfall. The water was freezing, but what an experience! Matty climbed more than half of it, and Brandon went all the way to the top with us (with anxious grandmas on the sidelines all the while). The excursion also included a trip to Dolphin Cove, where Eric made a new friend. By the time we got back to the ship, my legs hurt almost as much as they did after the half marathon a couple of weeks ago. All that climbing seemed easy, but it was quite the workout.

(Stay tuned for more days four and five, including our trip to Hell, and our whirlwind trip to Disney.)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Vacay, Part 1

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.