I’m a runner

Barely, but I am.
Back in March, I started walking, and at the insistence of my friend G, tried running. During this first run, I alternated every minute and a half between walking and running. I did that for 1.64 miles in 23:14 minutes, with a pace of just over a 15-minute mile. I stumbled back into the house and had to sit on the couch to recuperate for about 45 minutes. Really, I’m not exaggerating.

I kept up my modified eating habits (for the most part, except for the occasional food truck visits), but I hadn’t really gone out running/walking since March. This past Sunday I began my exercise regimen again, and did a bit better: 1.68 miles in 24:47 minutes, with a pace of 14:46 minutes per mile. Unlike the last time, I was sore, but did not feel like I could collapse at any moment.

Today, I rocked it! I don’t have the exact stats because I stopped to tie my shoes 10 minutes in and didn’t realize that the app on my phone pauses, so I neglected to resume it. What it did record was the following: Distance of 0.83 miles in 9:18 minutes, with a 0.09 mile per minute. I ran/walked for around 40 minutes, even went around the lake in my community twice. Not only that, but my pattern changed: this time, I started with a six minute run, 3 minute walk, and kept up the 3:3 rep. Woo hoo!

I’m participating in the ALS Recovery 5K on Saturday morning in memory of the father of two friends of mine who passed away from ALS complications a little less than 15 years ago. The 5K is my motivation this week, but I’ve gotten a taste of running, and while I don’t see myself doing any half marathons (at least not anytime soon….don’t get any ideas, WB!), my friend G is right: running is addictive!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to I’m a runner

1. Cristina says:

I totally feel your exhaustion…Ive tried running and I just get sooooo out of breath! I feel so out of shape! Its tough work man! Maybe I’ll try your run/walk formula. 🙂

2. wRitErsbLock says:

congratulations you crazy runner chick! I’m so proud of you.
    now… please send some of the motivation my way.

must send you a link to the Halloween half marathon down there…

3. Pingback: Pereiraville » Blog Archive » got $5?

4. pam says:

Good for you! I just donated; it’s not much, but every little bit helps. 😀

5. Geoffrey "G" says:

I’m so glad I was able to make a difference in your life! It’s all uphill from here! I can’t wait to see you running the ING with me next year!

6. Claudia says:

Yes, yes it is addictive…and now you’ve managed to get me off the couch as well.

7. Amanda says:

WB, I saw the link…OMG, I totally want to do it!

Pam, thank you so much. Yes, every little bit helps, and I appreciate it.

Geoff, you’re quite the motivational trainer. You tell it to me like it is, and I appreciate that. You’re on, I’ll be there! And, I just might keep up. 😉

Claude, woo hoo! I’ve got a running partner! We need to set a schedule and get runs in together.

8. maura says:

Wow Im impressed…. now you just have to catch up to me… last time I counted, Ive done over 20 races…including 2 half marathons…. Catch up to me lady ….especially now that you have the same shoes as me….